Hello Quilters ~
I’m glad to hear a bunch of you that were interested in making custom bed skirts. (See my last post). In addition to finishing the two bed skirts from that post, I have finished a quilt to go with one of them. I had been waiting for some good light to photograph the quilt, but I’m finished waiting for just the right light.
I’ve tried the light in the bedroom . . .
and I’ve tried the light outside . . .
This will just have to do . . . I’m sure you get the idea of what the quilt looks like and I should probably quit dilly-dallying away the night with my quest for the perfect light. That’s the problem with having some perfectionist tendencies. I end up wasting time when I could be quilting!
I had a few extra blocks from the quilt and I used them for the backing. It worked out perfect because two widths of fabric wasn’t quite wide enough for the quilt. By adding in those extra blocks, I didn’t have to add a third width of fabric. Plus, I think it makes the back much more interesting.
This pattern is a design that I put out two years ago, in my book Livin’ Large. It’s called Kalidescope and the original pattern was done up in Nest by Tula Pink, as seen below.
My new version was done with lots of prints from Meadowsweet by Sandi Henderson and a few of my own prints from Wildflowers and Sanibel. I used some of my scraps from the quilt to make the fabric hoops hanging above the bed. I saw this idea on The Purl Bee blog, and I have always wanted to try it somewhere.
As you can see, I got my shams done too. This pattern is from our “Shams with Style” book.
The original version looked like this, cute kid not included.
I added some quilting on my sham with a double needle. I love the fact that the needle does all the hard work for you – from getting the two lines perfectly spaced, to adding some dimension by kinda giving it a piped look. If you don’t already have a double needle, you need to get one! In fact, buy two. That is what I should have done the first time. I had only sewn one line of stitching when I accidentally broke my double needle, resulting in unfinished shams for the rest of the weekend (town is 20 minutes away and the shops aren’t all open 24 hours a day. )
Now that I have the bedding finished, I need to get the rest of the room decorated. I’ll have to blog on that later, but in the mean time my plan is to have a basic room that can be rotated to match lots of different quilts. The brown and yellow dot bed skirt and shams also match my Wildflowers fabric line, so I can switch out the bed quilt. In the photo below I’ve switched out the Meadowsweet quilt for one made out of Wildflowers.
I also have this cute “Hoot” fabric that will match the room (green walls, yellow bed, brown bedding) –
And this cute Riley Blake fabric that will work too.
Speaking of cute –
I just had to throw this picture in too. This is my husband’s dog Daisy. She has nothing to do with redecorating my bedroom, even though she technically would also match in the room. Whatever you do, please don’t suggest to my husband that she matches the room or he will think she should move in!!!