It’s been a little quiet here on the old blog – but that usually means it’s very busy behind the scenes. That has been the case over the last month, as I’ve been working on a new booklet. I decided last minute to publish my idea, so it’s been a scurry of activity trying to make it in time for fall market. Today, I’m going to give you a sneak peek at the idea, while I’m editing and working on the final photos for a post with a full introduction.
This idea came about because I was trying to piece a complicated looking star from a strip unit. Something I’ve done before, but this strip unit was first pieced into a chevron, cut apart, sewn back together, then cut apart again. After lots of trial and error, I thought – “Why don’t I just use a chevron fabric?” I drew up a little graphic to show you what I mean.
So, first of all, the math was complicated for me to figure out so that there was little waste and you could get one block from a strip set, etc. It was so much easier to start with the printed chevron! It eliminated some complicated steps and it allowed me to use different fabrics so each block would look unique. I immediately ordered a bunch of chevron-ish fabrics to give my idea a try.
I thought finding the chevron fabrics would be a challenge, but I easily found them all in one spot (click here). This is a bad night-time iphone photo. They are much prettier in daylight!
As soon as the fabrics arrived, I started cutting. I cut the chevron fabric into strips and then cut the strips into triangles, stopping to sew every few blocks to see how they would turn out. Each block was a fun surprise. Each block only has 6 pieces, so they are quick and easy to sew.
I used some of my scraps to cut small blocks too – because these fabrics were too pretty to waste! . . . . . The famous words of all quilters 😉
Those blocks are now part of 7 quilts. I’m working on a post to share the full shots, so please stop back in a few days!